Monday 4 March 2013

Sarah's Concept Art



Sarah was having trouble with the concepts for her project so I offered to design her alien. She gave me this mood board and some notes as a starting point for a catlike alien. She told me to experiment with different types of materials, body parts and poses and was very broad with the extent of her ideas.


I came up with these concepts first and Sarah told me to look into rocks and fauna for inspiration. She seemed particularly interested in a golem cat and told me to look into the Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus.



I didn’t like the initial sketches for the Colossi cat. To me, the colossi always looked sad, rigid and quite bulky and my designs didn’t match with a cat’s posture and quirky characteristics. After a few more concepts, I came up with a few designs I was happy with. I also did some floral designs which were based from imagination.


Sarah chose this concept, one that I was particularly happy with. I liked the design because it looked quirky and catlike while still retaining the rigid appearance of the colossi. Since Sarah was modelling the character, I would also have to come up with the model poses. The cat was quite hard to visualise in a modelling pose so I asked Siobhan since she has already modeled her cat. She said that the best way to go about it would be to provide Sarah with a basic pose and as many concepts in different perspectives.



No comments:

Post a Comment