Saturday 18 May 2013

Learning how to program in Gamemaker

I like adventure games so my game is now an adventure game. The puzzle I have designed is a simple puzzle that requires the player to open a door. I have tried to contextualise the puzzle with the chapter I have set my game level in. In the book, Harker has to open a door and only encounters two items while exploring the castle. A lamp and a Hammer or crowbar. Although he uses the crowbar to beat Dracula in the face, in this instance, he uses it to open the door. I’m gonna explain how the puzzle works so I will have to explain how to solve it. If you want to work it out then read this after solving it.

To get past the door, Harker has to use the oil from the lamp to loosen the bolts and then use the crowbar to wedge it open. To get the crowbar, you need to use the lighter to light the lamp, which can be found in Dracula’s room. Then you go down to the basement. It won’t let you go into the basement without the light since it’s too dark. The crowbar can be found in one of the rooms.

The puzzle uses different objects with different properties. For example, the door itself is made up of three objects, the main door, the door when it is oiled, and the door when it is open. This method makes sure that the puzzle can only be done in a specific order; use the oil and then the crowbar. When the lamp object collides with the main door, main door changes into main door_oiled. Main door does not have the same properties as main door_oiled, so the crowbar object can’t be used on main door, it can only be used on main door_oiled. Main door_oiled can now be changed to main door_open with the crowbar.

I want to add an inventory as it is not clear if you should take these objects with you. I have been looking at tutorials to implement this feature however I can’t seem to get it to work. If I can’t add an inventory I might use narrative cues to make sure the player takes them. I was going to use narrative cues anyway, however it would be nice to have an inventory in place rather than have the player drag the specific item everywhere.

Getting the mouse to pick up objects was proving tricky. I couldn’t get the mouse to pick an object. I was trying to get the object to follow the mouse when the player clicked on it, however instead of following the mouse, the object would teleport to position of the mouse. I had to look this up online.

No comments:

Post a Comment