Thursday 6 December 2012

Elder Bird Modelling and process

The Elder bird was challenging as I had never modelled anything as big or complex. Before I started modelling, I attempted to figure out the best way to approach this model. After some thought I decided the head would be the best starting point.
I found that the head had two focal points, the beak and the mask-like area surrounding the eyes. As these were interesting and distinct areas of the face it would be easier to model and these areas would help to inform the topology of the rather shapeless head. I modeled the beak and the eye area separately, attached them to a sphere and worked on the topology.



After modelling the head, I began work on the body and arms. I had trouble working out how the cape would work on the bird, I finally decided to attach it to the arms and the back. Throughout the model, I constantly kept an eye on the topology, trying to keep the amount of faces I use to a mininum and make the most out of the ones I keep. I am pretty happy with the end result.


No comments:

Post a Comment