Wednesday 10 October 2012

What I did this summer

Summer is probably not the best time for me in terms of productivity and motivating myself into actually doing something worthwhile. So this year, despite playing many awesome games (steam summer sale..ahem) I decided to really focus on developing the skills I learnt last year.

I really couldn't find a good workflow with Maya so I focused on Photoshop instead. In Photoshop, I wanted to learn how to paint people and get out of bad habits like focusing on a stupidly small area of the painting while leaving the rest undeveloped. I also wanted to stop being too much of a perfectionist so I tried to give myself a time limit for each painting, this failed by the way.
Here are some of the paintings I did over the summer. 




I think the best thing I learnt would be a better workflow in painting and also in photoshop. I can make better use of layers and can work my way around photoshop a lot better now. I'm slowly getting out of my bad habits which is a good thing as well.


I also managed to expand my gaming library by half over the summer which is probably not the greatest achievement ever, but I did play some really great games.
I really enjoyed a game called 'To the Moon', a really sad and thoughtful story about two doctors trying to grant an old dying man his last wish. I would recommend this game to anyone looking for brilliant storytelling in games.
Airtight Games Quantum Conundrum was great as well, apart from the ending. What I liked was the interesting puzzle mechanics that looked relatively simple but could be used to design some really amazing puzzles. Even when the puzzles were still easy, there was still the 'ooh' moment whenever you got it right.

1 comment:

  1. These paintings are amazing Adam! I had no idea you were so awesome in Photoshop. I like the lighting in the second image down and the shadows in the bottom one :)

    ReplyDelete