Wednesday 17 October 2012

Girl Explorer's

As a group, It's my job to design the female character. I had a hard time designing her as I didn't want her to look like an explorer. I didn't want her to look like the typical Jane Goodall or Laura Croft. I wanted to design a character that looked feminine but could handle herself in any given situation. I began to look at the role women play in explorer films like Indiana Jones.
In these films, women are not explorer's. They are either picked up by Indy or thrown into the action and then get picked up by him. They don't usually dress like explorer's either. They have this nice dress and it gets tattered and dirty. According to Indiana Jones, all women are either soft, feminine character's with a lovely wardrobe or Nazis. Although I encountered many of the stereotypes in Indiana Jones I wanted to avoid, it gave me several ideas for the character.

The woman could be taken by this Indiana Jones character but would hate him for doing so. In this case, the woman would still have a ripped dress and this would still play into the stereotypes. To avoid this, I had to look into the shape of the body and face.



Fiona from Adventure Time is an explorer. She fights monsters and wields a sword and enjoys it. She is headstrong and can stand up for herself, however she doesn't fit in with the Laura Croft stereotype. This is partly due to her appearance, she is slightly chubby but still has this feminine air around her. I decided to try and incorporate these aspects into my design.


I went through several different hairstyles until I found one that suited her. I didn't want her to have long or flowing hair just because I've seen it done too many times. I decided to make her hair short and curly and stand up to fully show off her sarcastic face.

No comments:

Post a Comment