Sunday 11 November 2012

Issues with Character Design

I've been trying to get my head around where to place bird wings on a character with human arms. It seems deceptively simple. Since this character the village elder, is more bird-like than the younger one, Daryl came up with idea that as they grow older they develop more bird like features, I had the idea of placing his wings between the middle and ring finger.
 I looked at bats and pterodactyl's to see how this would work and when I was finally happy with that, I began on the wing design. I looked at bats again, and magpie's and butterflies. I liked the idea that the wings would start of like a bats, sharp and rough wings then end like a magpie's more round and soft wings.
I went a bit over the top with the concept as we might use these designs for the temple walls.



I looked at butterflies to get an idea of the design of the cloak he would wear. Initially I used the cloak to hide his bird features to make him look more human. I liked the patterns of butterfly wings and tried to design something like it. As he was a village elder, his cloak would represent the village and its culture, so I designed some simple bird patterns. I did two colour variations and the group liked the brown one so we went with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment